What does physical therapy involve/ What types of treatments are available?
Evaluation: Your care begins with an in-depth assessment of your condition. Your licensed therapist then develops a customized treatment program that is directed toward making meaningful, practical, and sustained changes in your ability to function. Goals for therapy are developed with you and are focused toward maximizing functional independence, preventing further movement/function problems and maintaining health.
Treatment Program: To assist you in achieving your individual goals, we offer a wide variety of skilled physical therapy interventions including:
- Therapeutic exercise
- Functional training education
- Manual (hands-on) therapy to help reduce pain and decrease joint and soft tissue mobility restrictions
- Electrotherapy for improving muscle activation and/or reducing pain and promoting muscle relaxation
- Ultrasound to help reduce pain and inflammation and facilitate the tissue healing process
- Heat and cold modalities
- Mechanical traction for neck or back problems
What do I need to know about insurance?
Most forms of physical therapy treatment are covered by insurance, but coverage varies with each plan.
What should I wear?
You should wear clothing that is comfortable and will allow free movement. We often need to access the skin for assessment and treatment. You may have to do stretches.
How long will each session last?
Session times vary according to individual factors, but on average last 40-90 min depending on your specific needs.
How many times per week will I need to come?
Frequency of visits is usually 1-3 sessions per week. Your physical therapist (and sometimes your physician) will recommend how many times per week is optimal for you. Frequency is adjusted on a case-by-case basis depending on your progress or personal preference.